The Waldorf salad was first created in 1893 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Originally, the salad contained apples, celery, and grapes bound in a mayonnaise dressing. Later, walnuts were added and the grapes were replaced with raisins or sultanas. Here is how to make a simple and delicious Waldorf salad.
Ingredients for Waldorf Salad
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of walnuts
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Waldorf Salad
- Core and chop the apples and slice the celery before adding to a mixing bowl.
- Chop the walnut halves and add these to the mixing bowl along with the sultanas.
- Put the mayonnaise into the mixing bowl and stir to bind the ingredients together.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir well before transferring to a serving bowl for sharing, onto salad leaves in individual portions, or on to plates as an accompaniment.
For more interesting salad ideas, click here.
Now that we are getting to the warmer months, salads become a more inviting option. While many people often think of salads as a boring and tasteless dishes, there are many ways of adding extra flavours and textures if you get creative. One tasty option is a stilton and walnut salad. The stilton adds a creamy texture and a rich flavour while the walnuts add nuttiness and crunch. Here is how to make a simple stilton and walnut salad for four people.
Ingredients for Stilton and Walnut Salad
- 1 bag of salad leaves (or equivalent salad leaves of your choice)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cucumber
- 10 oz/ 250g Stilton
- 4 oz/ 110g walnut pieces
- 4 tbsp balsamic dressing
How to Make Stilton and Walnut Salad
- Slice the red onion, halve the cherry tomatoes, dice the cucumber and chop the walnuts.
- Divide the salad leaves equally over four plates and share out the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion between the plates.
- Crumble the cheese over the salad leaves equally.
- Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of balsamic dressing over each salad.
- Serve on its own or with a chunk of granary bread.