Italian food is a favourite in my house and I enjoy cooking this cuisine because it consists of simple ingredients and flavours. Italian food is also usually really quick and easy to make and well-suited to those who are cooking on a budget. One of the easiest things to make is pasta in a tomato and basil sauce. This is something that you can also liven up by adding a vast range of ingredients to this basic dish. Making your own sauce for the pasta is simple and far more delicious than anything you can buy out of a jar. Here is an easy recipe for tomato and basil pasta sauce.
Ingredients for Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- A handful of fresh basil, torn
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, and sugar to the pan.
- Increase the heat to bring the tomato sauce to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the torn basil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook for another two minutes and then stir into cooked, drained pasta.