Mushroom soup is perfect all year round as it is both warming for the autumn and winter months, and a light meal option for spring and summer. It is also a quick and easy meal to make that is budget-friendly. Here is how to make mushroom soup.
Ingredients for Mushroom Soup
- 300g button mushrooms
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75 ml double cream
How to Make Mushroom Soup
Clean and slice the mushrooms
.Crush the garlic and then chop the onions and celery.
Add the butter and oil to a large saucepan and put over a medium heat on the hob.
Add the celery, onions and garlic and cook for two minutes.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and add the pan lid.
Cook for a further five minutes.
Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Season with salt and black pepper and then blend the mixture
Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat and serving into soup bowls.
Spinach and potato soup is easy to make, budget-friendly and a great vegetarian option. It is also packed with nutrients for maintaining good health. Here is how to make a quick and easy spinach and potato soup for four people.
Ingredients for Spinach and Potato Soup
- 1 lb potatoes, diced
- 12 oz spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp chopped chives
- Salt and black pepper
Read measurement conversions here.
How to Make Spinach and Potato Soup
- Peel and dice the potatoes and chop the onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and fry for two minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another two minutes.
- Pour over the stock and simmer for approximately eight minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan and stir in. Cook for two more minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper and add the chives.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor or with a hand blender to your preferred consistency.
- Serve into soup bowls and add a swirl of cream to each.
Serving- This is fantastic with croutons and warm crusty rolls.
Herbs- If you are not a fan of chives, try chervil instead.
Stock- If you are not a vegetarian, you can use chicken stock as an alternative to vegetable stock if you prefer.
Even a culinary novice can whip together a soup as they are one of the easiest dishes to make. This tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup is quick and simple to make and is perfect as either a starter or a family meal served with bread or croutons. It is also equally as suitable as a warming dish in the winter months or as a refreshing dish during summer. This soup is also cheap to make, packed full of nutrients, and a great vegetarian option. Here is how to make tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup.
Ingredients for Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- 3 medium courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- Handful fresh basil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and black pepper
- Sour cream or creme fraiche for serving
- Olive oil for cooking
How to Make Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- Chop the onions, peppers, and courgettes then crush the garlic.
- Heat some olive oil over a medium heat in a large pan.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and chopped courgettes.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable stock cubes and add enough boiled water over the vegetables to cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the tinned tomatoes.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Take most of the fresh basil and roughly tear before adding to the pan. Save some basil as a garnish for the top of the soup.
- Cook the soup for 20 minutes then remove from heat and leave to cool for a while.
- Blend the soup, with either a blender or a hand blender, to your preferred consistency.
- Serve into soup bowls and add a swirl of either soured cream of creme fraiche and a sprig of basil.
- Serve the soup alone or with croutons or warm crusty bread.
Tomatoes- Use fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Garlic– the garlic is optional and just adds an extra level of flavour. If you are not a fan of garlic, leave this ingredient out.
Spice it up- If you are a fan of spice, it is simple to add some spiciness to this dish. Either add a chopped chilli or some paprika to the dish; both work well.
Peppers- You can add any colour you like. I only use one red and one yellow for the colour.