A basic white sauce is one of the first sauces you should learn to make as it is the basis for many other sauces. It takes just minutes to make and once you have mastered making this, you can adapt it to many dishes. Here is how to make a basic white sauce.
Ingredients for White Sauce
- 1 oz/ 25 g butter
- 1 oz/ 25 g plain flour
- 600 ml/ 1-pint milk
- White pepper and salt
How to Make a White Sauce
- Measure your ingredients first.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and white pepper.
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.