As the warmer months are approaching, you will probably want some lighter meals to enjoy and may even consider eating outdoors as a family or inviting guests around to your home. If so, dips and accompaniments are ideal for serving along with crudites, homemade flatbreads, breadsticks, and snacks. Here are ten great dips and accompaniments to try this summer.
- Bean Dip
- Spicy Tomato Dip
- Baba Ganoush
- Mango Salsa
- Blue Cheese Dip
- Funky red cabbage slaw
I am not a big fan of frozen or prepackaged burgers or of those made by fast food chains. However, I do like a decent homemade burger. They are far tastier when you make them yourself and they are really quick and easy to make. I recently served them with sweet potato skinny fries and a generous serving of my homemade funky red cabbage slaw. Here is how to make six burgers with sweet potato skinny fries.
Ingredients for the Burgers
- 600g minced beef
- 6 brioche buns
- 2 oz cheese
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 beaten egg
- t tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Skinny Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 200 ml vegetable oil
How to Make Homemade Burgers
- Add the minced meat, the beaten egg, the chopped onion, and the crushed garlic into a large mixing bowl and combine with your hands.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and put over a medium heat.
- Separate the meat mixture into six balls and press into flat patties.
- Put three of the burgers into the pan and cook for five minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining three burgers.
- While the remaining burgers are in the pan, butter the brioche buns and melt the cheese in a microwave for one minute.
- When the burgers are all cooked, add them to the brioche buns and top with a little of the melted cheese.
- Serve with skinny fries and funky red cabbage slaw.
How to Make Skinny Fries
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180C.
- Cut the sweet potatoes horizontally to give yourself a flat surface to stand the sweet potatoes.
- While they are stood on their flat end, slice them vertically to approximately 0.5 centimetres thickness.
- Lie each slice flat and slice again to create skinny fries that are approximately 0.5 cm thickness.
- Add the oil to a saucepan and put over a high heat on the hob.
- In batches, fry the sweet potato fries for a few minutes until beginning to go crisp before putting on kitchen paper to drain the excess fat.
- Transfer all the part-cooked skinny fries to a baking tray and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Put the baking tray in the oven and cook for a further ten minutes until the fries are crisp.
- Serve with the burgers and funky red cabbage slaw.
If you want to serve this with my funky red cabbage slaw, then use this recipe here.
Although I make the regular slaw, my kids really love my funky red cabbage slaw as there is something fun about having such a colorful side dish on the plate. It is quick and simple to make and is a great way of getting the kids to eat a variety of vegetables. Here is a quick guide on how to make funky red cabbage slaw. It makes enough for approximately eight good-sized side dishes to accompany a meal.
Ingredients for Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 red cabbage grated or finely sliced
- 4 large carrots grated
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 8 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons of salad cream
- 100 ml double cream
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- Grate the carrots and red cabbage and finely slice the red onion.
- Add the grated and sliced vegetables to a large mixing bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, salad cream, and double cream to the bowl.
- Stir well until all the vegetables are coated.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Extra ingredients– you can add extra ingredients if you want a little variety. Try adding chopped apples, sultanas, or walnuts for a twist.
- Spice it up– this is delicious as it is, but you can also spice up this dish. Adding a teaspoon of curry powder or smoked paprika are just two ways you can change the flavor of this accompaniment.
- Reduce the fat– it is easy to reduce the fat content of this side dish. Simply use low-fat mayonnaise and salad cream and omit the double cream from the recipe.