Stuffed mushrooms is a dish that I sometimes make as a side dish with meat, as a starter, as the main course with salad and garlic bread, or in a large quantity to serve on my Boxing Day and Easter buffets. It is a budget and meat-free option that is quick and easy to make for people with a busy schedule. Everyone in my family loves this dish, so it is something I make on a regular basis for the kids. Here is an easy recipe for stuffed mushrooms that served six people for starters or four as a main course dish.
Ingredients for Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 kg button mushrooms
- 2 slices of dry bread, crumbed (see tips)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 cl brandy (about three capfuls)
- 150 g soft cheese
- 200g hard cheese, such as cheddar, grated
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180C.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and place the mushroom tops in an ovenproof dish so the hollows left by the stalks are facing upwards.
- Finely chop approximately half of the mushroom stalks and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the soft cheese and the garlic to the mixing bowl and combine with a spoon. It is easier to combine the ingredients if you cook in a microwave on full heat for one minute as this softens the cheese.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the bowl along with the brandy and then season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of the mixture to each of the mushroom tops in the ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread.
- If you do not have any stale or dry bread, simply put two pieces of bread into the oven for a few minutes as this removes some of the moisture and makes the bread easier to crumb.
- If you prefer to eat garlic mushrooms with a sauce, then simply pour 150 ml of double cream over the mushrooms before adding to the oven. The cream will combine with the mushroom juices and also take on the flavour of the garlic, the seasoning, and the cheese as some of the mixture overflows from the mushroom tops.