Soup is one of the easiest and cheapest soups to make and there are so many variations. One of my personal favourites is leek and potato soup. This creamy soup is ideal for any time of the year and can be used for a starter, a lunch or as a main meal when served with a generous chunk of fresh bread and butter. Here is an easy recipe for leek and potato soup that serves four to six people.
Ingredients for Leek and Potato Soup
- 3 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 4 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.2 litres/ 2 pints vegetable stock
- 150 ml/ 5 fl. oz. double cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives for serving
How to Make Leek and Potato Soup
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the leeks and potatoes and cook for five minutes or until they are beginning to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Either use a hand blender to blend the mixture to the consistency of your choice or transfer to a food processor for blending before returning to the pan.
- Put the soup on a low heat, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in most of the cream, retaining just a little for the top.
- Cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve into soup bowls and decorate with a small swirl of cream and a sprinkle of chives.