Although pancakes are traditionally eaten on Pancake Day, they are just as great at any time of the year. Depending on how you serve them, pancakes are perfect for breakfast, savoury family dinners, and desserts. It might surprise you just how easy pancakes are to make. Here is how to make perfect pancakes.
NB: This recipe makes 12 European-style thin pancakes, also known as crepes.
Pancake Batter Ingredients
- 3 1/2 oz/ 100 g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 10 fl. oz/ 300 ml/ 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, plus extra oil for frying
- A pinch of salt
How to Make Pancake Batter
- Put the flour and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Crack the eggs into the centre of the flour and add the oil.
- Gently combine with a whisk to create a thick mixture.
- Gradually add the milk and whisk to create a smooth mixture.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and put in the fridge for 20 minutes before making the pancakes.
- Put some vegetable oil on a piece of kitchen roll and wipe around a medium-sized frying pan to grease.
- Put the frying pan on a medium heat on your hob.
- Once hot, pour some pancake mixture into the centre of the pan and tilt to coat the base with a thin layer of the batter.
- Cook for one minute before turning the pancake over. Either, use a flat fish lift to do this or, if you are brave enough, toss the pancake.
- Cook on the second side for one minute and then serve.