I am not a big fan of frozen or prepackaged burgers or of those made by fast food chains. However, I do like a decent homemade burger. They are far tastier when you make them yourself and they are really quick and easy to make. I recently served them with sweet potato skinny fries and a generous serving of my homemade funky red cabbage slaw. Here is how to make six burgers with sweet potato skinny fries.
Ingredients for the Burgers
- 600g minced beef
- 6 brioche buns
- 2 oz cheese
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 beaten egg
- t tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Skinny Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 200 ml vegetable oil
How to Make Homemade Burgers
- Add the minced meat, the beaten egg, the chopped onion, and the crushed garlic into a large mixing bowl and combine with your hands.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and put over a medium heat.
- Separate the meat mixture into six balls and press into flat patties.
- Put three of the burgers into the pan and cook for five minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining three burgers.
- While the remaining burgers are in the pan, butter the brioche buns and melt the cheese in a microwave for one minute.
- When the burgers are all cooked, add them to the brioche buns and top with a little of the melted cheese.
- Serve with skinny fries and funky red cabbage slaw.
How to Make Skinny Fries
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180C.
- Cut the sweet potatoes horizontally to give yourself a flat surface to stand the sweet potatoes.
- While they are stood on their flat end, slice them vertically to approximately 0.5 centimetres thickness.
- Lie each slice flat and slice again to create skinny fries that are approximately 0.5 cm thickness.
- Add the oil to a saucepan and put over a high heat on the hob.
- In batches, fry the sweet potato fries for a few minutes until beginning to go crisp before putting on kitchen paper to drain the excess fat.
- Transfer all the part-cooked skinny fries to a baking tray and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Put the baking tray in the oven and cook for a further ten minutes until the fries are crisp.
- Serve with the burgers and funky red cabbage slaw.
If you want to serve this with my funky red cabbage slaw, then use this recipe here.