Eggs Florentine is a delicious meal for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. It is easy to make and packed full of nutrients. The dish consists simply of a poached egg and spinach on an English muffin, topped with hollandaise sauce. Here is how to make eggs Florentine for four people.
Ingredients for Eggs Florentine
- 4 eggs
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 2 English muffins, halved
- Hollandaise sauce (read recipe here)
- Black pepper
How to Make Eggs Florentine
- Make the hollandaise sauce first- read instructions here.
- Steam the spinach until it has wilted.
- Poach the eggs either in simmering water or a poaching pan until they are cooked to your liking.
- Grill the English muffins until they are golden on both sides and then butter.
- Top the muffins with the spinach, then the poached egg, followed by the hollandaise sauce.
- Season with black pepper.
Hollandaise sauce is something that many people think is difficult to make and avoid using it for this reason. However, it is surprisingly easy to make and is a fantastic addition to dishes such as eggs Florentine or salmon and asparagus. Here is how to make hollandaise sauce in a few simple steps.
Ingredients for Hollandaise Sauce
- 3½oz/ 100g butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tbsp cold water
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Hollandaise Sauce
- Put the butter in a saucepan over a low heat until melted then remove from the heat.
- Bring a pan of water to simmering point then cover with a mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixing bowl over the pan and beat until the yolks have become a tick, pale mixture.
- Add the water and lemon juice while continuing to whisk the mixture.
- Season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add half of the melted butter and stir for a further two minutes.
- Remove bowl from the heat and slowly add the remaining butter while stirring.
- Season to taste with more salt, black pepper and lemon juice if necessary.
- If you are serving this sauce warm, then rest the bowl over a pan of lukewarm water until you are ready to serve the dish.