Guacamole is one of the simplest dips to make as it requires no cooking skill whatsoever. It is also a good way to make use of any ripe avocados you have in your refrigerator. These are packed with nutrients, meaning they are a fantastic ingredient to include in a healthy, balanced diet. Guacamole is delicious served as an accompaniment to salads, crudites, or tortilla chips. It is perfect for a snack or as an addition to a buffet table. This dip is also cheap to make and is suitable for vegetarians. Here is how to make guacamole.
Ingredients for Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Guacamole
- Remove the stones and skin from the avocados and roughly chop’
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Cut the lime in half and use a juicer to remove the juice,
- Put the avocados in a bowl and squash with the back of a fork until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Add the finely chopped red onion, the crushed garlic and the lime juice.
- Mix the ingredients together and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- If you want a smoother consistency, use a blender to pulp the avocado flesh.
- Spice it up with a chopped chilli if you want a kick to your dip.
Avocado is commonly referred to as a fruit, although it is actually a berry with one single seed inside. This is a delicious ingredient that is packed full of nutrients and healthy unsaturated fats. Sadly, people are often unsure of what they can make with avocados. They will buy one and then leave it at the bottom of the refrigerator untouched before discarding it. However, this is an extremely versatile ingredient and you can use it in a variety of ways in your cooking. Here are ten things to do with avocados.
- Guacamole– Starting with the obvious, guacamole is a delicious dip and there are many variations on recipes. I make it by mashing avocados with a fork and then adding finely chopped red onion, chilli, and lime juice.
- Avocado smoothie- As it is packed with nutrients and has a smooth texture, avocados are perfect for creating smoothies.
- Prawn cocktail filled avocado– A variation on the classic prawn cocktail, add prawns and thousand islands sauce to the centre of an avocado half and serve with a side salad.
- Avocado toast- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to mashed avocado and spread on toast.
- Avocado, crispy bacon, and walnut salad– Avocados are a fantastic addition to any salad. Serve salad leaves with slices of avocado, crispy bacon and walnuts for a nutrient-packed and delicious lunch.
- Smashed avocado and smoked salmon bagel– Salmon and avocado are a classic combination. Spread mashed avocado on a bagel before adding slices of smoked salmon. Add a twist of lemon, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tortilla wraps with avocado and salad– A healthy lunch option is a soft tortilla wrap filled with chopped avocado, salad leaves, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
- Avocado, crab and chilli- Avocado works well with all types of seafood, including crab. To a halved avocado, add crab meat mixed with chopped chilies and lemon juice.
- Greek-style avocado- Feta cubes and halved cherry tomatoes are the perfect combo for stuffing an avocado.
- Avocado and smoked salmon sushi rolls– If you are a sushi fan, try adding avocado. EIther simple roll sushi rice and avocado alone or with salmon.