Of all the celebrity chefs and television personalities that feature on cooking shows, Gordon Ramsay is undoubtedly my favourite. I love his no-nonsense approach, his clear understanding of the restaurant business and his straight talking. Although he is known for his foul mouth, he also shows his softer and more caring side in may of his shows. I find him fascinating to watch and I am addicted to anything in which he appears. Here are 10 facts about Gordon Ramsay.
- He was born in Renfrewshire in Scotland. This surprises many people as they associate this chef with England.
- He had a career in football before injuring himself and switching career paths.
- His first head chef position was at La Tante Claire in Chelsea, England.
- In 1998, he opened his first restaurant called Restaurant Gordon Ramsay.
- Ramsay was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the Queen’s 2006 honour’s list.
- He was inducted into the Culinary Hall of Fame in 2013.
- Ramsay married Cayetana ‘Tana’ Elizabeth Hutchence in 1996. The couple has four children together; Megan, Holly, Jack, and Matilda.
- He fell 26 feet off a cliff while filming in Iceland’s Westman Islands. Fortunately, he landed in the water and was unharmed.
- He caused controversy in 2009 when it was discovered that one of his restaurants, the Foxtrot Oscar in Chelsea, was using pre-prepared food.
- Ramsay currently owns 10 restaurants in England, eight in North America, four in France, two in Italy, one in Ireland, and eight further restaurants in various locations across the globe.
Although Gordon Ramsay already has one restaurant in Atlantic City, he is now set to open a second. His new restaurant is the Gordon Ramsay Steak and will be at Harrah’s Resort. This will replace The Steakhouse at the resort and will join Harrah’s other restaurants; a Spanish and Mexican restaurant called Veracruz and Martorano’s, an Italian. This will be a great addition to the food scene in Atlantic City, which already includes Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill. He is partnered in this restaurant by Caesars Entertainment.
Ramsay already has two Gordon Ramsay Steak restaurants operating in the United States. The first was opened in 2012 and is located in Paris on the Las Vegas strip. The second restaurant, which opened in 2017, is in the Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore.
Customers who visit the new restaurant can expect chic décor and a fantastic ambiance for socializing and eating food of the highest standard. The menu is expected to include the finest cuts of meat, including American Kobe and 28-day-matured beef.
If the menus of the other Gordon Ramsay Steak restaurants are anything to go by, then it is also likely that there will be influences taken from Ramsay’s British roots. Beef Wellington is one British classic that diners are likely to see on the menu and it is possible that the dessert menu will include sticky toffee pudding.
This new restaurant is just the latest in Ramsay’s ventures as he already owns over 40 restaurants in various locations across the globe. Thirteen of these are in the United Kingdom and the United States is home to a further twelve.
Aside from these businesses, Gordon Ramsay has achieved success and fame on both sides of the Atlantic as a celebrity chef and appears in many television series. These include ‘Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares’, ‘Hotel Hell’, ‘The F Word’, the United States version of ‘Masterchef’, and ‘Hell’s Kitchen’.
Image: Flickr- labelled as free to use for commercial purposes with modifications allowed