If you ever travel to France, one of the most common items you will see on a cafe menu is the croque monsieur. This delicious toasted snack is basically a cheese and ham toastie which a French twist. It is a great way of using leftover ham and is a cheap and easy option for lunch. Here is a simple version of how to make croque monsieur for four people.
Ingredients for Croque Monsieur
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices ham
- 6 oz/ 160 g Gruyere cheese
- 3 0z/ 80 g butter
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
How to Make Croque Monsieur
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180C/ 350F.
- Spread half a teaspoon of the mustard on four of the slices of bread.
- Take half of the cheese and sprinkle over these four slices of bread.
- Add a slice of ham over the cheese.
- Cover the ham with most of the remaining cheese (just leave a little for the top).
- Top with the four slices of bread which do not have mustard spread on them.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the sandwiches for two minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a baking tray and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cook for five minutes in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, cut diagonally and serve.
If you do not have Gruyere cheese, you can use an alternative such as Cheddar.