As the warmer months are approaching, you will probably want some lighter meals to enjoy and may even consider eating outdoors as a family or inviting guests around to your home. If so, dips and accompaniments are ideal for serving along with crudites, homemade flatbreads, breadsticks, and snacks. Here are ten great dips and accompaniments to try this summer.
- Bean Dip
- Spicy Tomato Dip
- Baba Ganoush
- Mango Salsa
- Blue Cheese Dip
- Funky red cabbage slaw
This easy bean dip is a tasty but low-fat option to serve on a buffet or as a snack. It is surprisingly quick and simple to make and the result is delicious considering the lack of effort required to make this dip. Here is an easy recipe for bean dip.
Ingredients for Bean Dip
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans.
- 4 heaped tablespoons plain yoghurt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
How to Make Bean Dip
- Put half the beans and chickpeas into a food processor with the yoghurt, lemon juice, cumin, and garlic.
- Blitz into a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining beans and chickpeas along with the lemon zest.
- Blitz only quickly to get a chunky bean dip.
- Serve with crudites, flatbreads, or other dipping ingredients.
If you are having people around to your home, one of the easiest things to serve is a selection of dips with other tasty morsels, such as crudites and flatbreads for dipping. A spicy tomato dip is a delicious option that is easy to make in advance and keep chilled until you are ready to serve. Here is an easy recipe for spicy tomato dip.
Ingredients for Spicy Tomato Dip
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
How to Make Spicy Tomato Dip
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, and chilli powder and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes.
- Blitz the mixture for a few seconds for a chunky dip or a little longer for a smooth dip using either a hand blender or a food processor.
- Transfer to a container and leave to cool.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Other Dips You Might Like to Try
Blue Cheese Dip
You can try these with flatbreads or wholemeal flatbreads.