Cauliflower cheese is a delicious accompaniment to a meal and works particularly well with roasted meats, pies, and fish. It is also a tasty meal in its own right for vegetarians. Some people are deterred from making cauliflower cheese at home as they are worried that the cheese sauce is complicated to make. However, this is not the case as this recipe is quick and easy to make. Here is how to make cauliflower cheese.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 oz/ 50 g butter
- 2 oz/ 50 g plain flour
- 6 oz/ 160 g cheese for the sauce
- 3 oz/ 80 g cheese for topping
- 1200 ml/ 2-pint milk
- Black pepper and salt
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese
- Measure your ingredients first.
- Remove the leaves and main stem from the cauliflower, then break into florets.
- Add the cauliflower to a pan of salted boiling water.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, start the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and black pepper .
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Drain the cauliflower before adding to a large, oven-proof dish. Any excess water will cause the sauce to split, so dabbing with kitchen paper can help to make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are thoroughly dry.
- Pour over the cheese sauce so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the dish.
- Cook on a high heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the dish is golden brown.
Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin– Adding broccoli, mustard, and breadcrumbs to this dish makes a great vegetarian meal. Read the recipe here.
Meat Lovers– Add some leftover ham to the cauliflower cheese before transferring to the oven if you prefer meat dishes.