This vegetarian dish is delicious as a meal on its own or as a vegetable accompaniment to meat. It is quick and simple to make as it just involves cooking broccoli and cauliflower and then adding a cheese sauce. I use double the amount of the basic cheese sauce recipe when I am making this and add some mustard for extra flavour. I also switch the white pepper to black. Here is how to make a delicious broccoli and cauliflower gratin.
Ingredients for Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 oz/ 50 g butter
- 2 oz/ 50 g plain flour
- 6 oz/ 160 g cheese for the sauce
- 3 oz/ 80 g cheese for topping
- 2 slices of stale bread, crumbed
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 1200 ml/ 2-pint milk
- Black pepper and salt
How to Make Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
- Measure your ingredients first.
- Remove the leaves and main stem from the cauliflower and broccoli, then break into florets.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli to a pan of salted boiling water.
- While the broccoli and cauliflower are cooking, start the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and black pepper and add the mustard.
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Drain the broccoli and cauliflower before adding to a large, oven-proof dish. Any excess water will cause the sauce to split, so dabbing with kitchen paper can help to make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are thoroughly dry.
- Pour over the cheese sauce so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the dish and then add breadcrumbs.
- Cook on a high heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the dish is golden brown.
Meat lovers– If you do not enjoy vegetarian meals, this is delicious if you add your leftover ham.