When it comes to Indian food accompaniments, a raita dip is one of the most popular of all. This is really simple to make at home, so you do not have to rely on ordering some from your local takeaway. Here is how to make a tasty and refreshing raita.
Ingredients for Raita
- 250g plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cucumber
- A small handful of coriander, chopped
- A small handful of mint leaves. chopped
- I clove of garlic
- Juice of half a lime
How to Make Raita
- Add the yoghurt to a bowl.
- Chop the cucumber into small cubes and finely chop the garlic.
- Finely chop the fresh coriander and mint leaves.
- Add the cucumber, coriander, mint and garlic to the yoghurt.
- Squeeze over the mixture the juice of half a lime.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and serve.
- This is a delicious accompaniment to Saag Aloo.
- Add some grated ginger or chopped chillies if you want a kick to the dip.
Cauliflower cheese is a delicious accompaniment to a meal and works particularly well with roasted meats, pies, and fish. It is also a tasty meal in its own right for vegetarians. Some people are deterred from making cauliflower cheese at home as they are worried that the cheese sauce is complicated to make. However, this is not the case as this recipe is quick and easy to make. Here is how to make cauliflower cheese.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 oz/ 50 g butter
- 2 oz/ 50 g plain flour
- 6 oz/ 160 g cheese for the sauce
- 3 oz/ 80 g cheese for topping
- 1200 ml/ 2-pint milk
- Black pepper and salt
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese
- Measure your ingredients first.
- Remove the leaves and main stem from the cauliflower, then break into florets.
- Add the cauliflower to a pan of salted boiling water.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, start the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and black pepper .
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Drain the cauliflower before adding to a large, oven-proof dish. Any excess water will cause the sauce to split, so dabbing with kitchen paper can help to make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are thoroughly dry.
- Pour over the cheese sauce so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the dish.
- Cook on a high heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the dish is golden brown.
Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin– Adding broccoli, mustard, and breadcrumbs to this dish makes a great vegetarian meal. Read the recipe here.
Meat Lovers– Add some leftover ham to the cauliflower cheese before transferring to the oven if you prefer meat dishes.
Although I make the regular slaw, my kids really love my funky red cabbage slaw as there is something fun about having such a colorful side dish on the plate. It is quick and simple to make and is a great way of getting the kids to eat a variety of vegetables. Here is a quick guide on how to make funky red cabbage slaw. It makes enough for approximately eight good-sized side dishes to accompany a meal.
Ingredients for Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 red cabbage grated or finely sliced
- 4 large carrots grated
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 8 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons of salad cream
- 100 ml double cream
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- Grate the carrots and red cabbage and finely slice the red onion.
- Add the grated and sliced vegetables to a large mixing bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, salad cream, and double cream to the bowl.
- Stir well until all the vegetables are coated.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Extra ingredients– you can add extra ingredients if you want a little variety. Try adding chopped apples, sultanas, or walnuts for a twist.
- Spice it up– this is delicious as it is, but you can also spice up this dish. Adding a teaspoon of curry powder or smoked paprika are just two ways you can change the flavor of this accompaniment.
- Reduce the fat– it is easy to reduce the fat content of this side dish. Simply use low-fat mayonnaise and salad cream and omit the double cream from the recipe.