The fresh flavours of this soup make it ideal for any time of the year. It is one of the easiest soups to make, it is budget-friendly, and it is a delicious meal for vegetarians. Furthermore, it is a great way of using up celery from the refrigerator and apples from the fruit bowl. Here is how to make celery and apple soup.
Ingredients for Celery and Apple Soup
- 1 head of celery
- 1 large cooking apple
- I medium sized potato cut into chunks
- 1 onion
- 25g butter
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chives.
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Celery and Apple Soup
- Chop the potato, apple, celery and onion.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, potato and celery to the pan and fry for approximately five minutes until onion is softened.
- Add the apple and stock.
- Turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Blitz the mixture in a blender and return to the pan.
- Season with salt and black pepper and add the milk and half the chives.
- Bring back to the boil for five minutes.
- Serve into soup bowls and sprinkle with the remaining chives.
When people think of parsnips, they usually think of roasted parsnips with a roast dinner. However, they are a delicious ingredient to include in soup. They have a sweet and earthy flavour that works well with spices and the texture is perfect for blending. Here is how to make curried parsnip soup.
Ingredients for Curried Parsnip Soup
- 6 large parsnips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Curried Parsnip Soup
- Heat the oven to about 180 degrees C or gas mark 4.
- Peel and thinly slice one of the parsnips and spread out on a baking tray. Sprinkle with half the cumin, some salt and drizzle with half the oil.
- Bake the parsnips for approximately 20 minutes, or until they are golden and the edges have become crisp.
- While the parsnips are cooking, put a small frying pan over a medium heat and toast the remaining cumin, the turmeric and chilli powder for one minute.
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the remaining oil and fry the chopped onion for approximately seven minutes.
- Chop the remaining parsnips and crush the garlic. Add these to the pan with the onion.
- Add the toasted spices and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to bring the mixture to the boil
- Once boiling, season with salt and black pepper and reduce the heat to medium to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend with either a stick blender or a food processor.
- Serve into soup bowls and decorate with the parsnip crisps.
Mushroom soup is perfect all year round as it is both warming for the autumn and winter months, and a light meal option for spring and summer. It is also a quick and easy meal to make that is budget-friendly. Here is how to make mushroom soup.
Ingredients for Mushroom Soup
- 300g button mushrooms
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75 ml double cream
How to Make Mushroom Soup
Clean and slice the mushrooms
.Crush the garlic and then chop the onions and celery.
Add the butter and oil to a large saucepan and put over a medium heat on the hob.
Add the celery, onions and garlic and cook for two minutes.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and add the pan lid.
Cook for a further five minutes.
Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Season with salt and black pepper and then blend the mixture
Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat and serving into soup bowls.
Even a culinary novice can whip together a soup as they are one of the easiest dishes to make. This tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup is quick and simple to make and is perfect as either a starter or a family meal served with bread or croutons. It is also equally as suitable as a warming dish in the winter months or as a refreshing dish during summer. This soup is also cheap to make, packed full of nutrients, and a great vegetarian option. Here is how to make tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup.
Ingredients for Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- 3 medium courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- Handful fresh basil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and black pepper
- Sour cream or creme fraiche for serving
- Olive oil for cooking
How to Make Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- Chop the onions, peppers, and courgettes then crush the garlic.
- Heat some olive oil over a medium heat in a large pan.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and chopped courgettes.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable stock cubes and add enough boiled water over the vegetables to cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the tinned tomatoes.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Take most of the fresh basil and roughly tear before adding to the pan. Save some basil as a garnish for the top of the soup.
- Cook the soup for 20 minutes then remove from heat and leave to cool for a while.
- Blend the soup, with either a blender or a hand blender, to your preferred consistency.
- Serve into soup bowls and add a swirl of either soured cream of creme fraiche and a sprig of basil.
- Serve the soup alone or with croutons or warm crusty bread.
Tomatoes- Use fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Garlic– the garlic is optional and just adds an extra level of flavour. If you are not a fan of garlic, leave this ingredient out.
Spice it up- If you are a fan of spice, it is simple to add some spiciness to this dish. Either add a chopped chilli or some paprika to the dish; both work well.
Peppers- You can add any colour you like. I only use one red and one yellow for the colour.