Bombay potatoes is a traditional Indian side dish that also works well as a main course option for vegetarians. There are many variations of this dish as people often use different spices or add alternative ingredients. It is simple to make as it consists of just potatoes, tomatoes, and spices. Another bonus is that it is a really cheap meal option, so it is great for people on a budget. Therefore, even if you are an Indian cooking novice, this is a simple dish to make. Here is an easy recipe for Bombay potatoes.
Ingredients for Bombay Potatoes
- 3 large potatoes cut into chunks
- 1-inch chunk of peeled ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chilli, deseeded
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp Salt
How to Make Bombay Potatoes
- Boil the potato chunks in salted water until cooked (approximately 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, add one of the chopped tomatoes, the ginger, the garlic cloves and the chilli to a blender and whizz into a paste.
- Add the oil to a saucepan and put over a medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the ground spices and cook for one more minute.
- Add the salt and the paste of tomato, chilli, ginger, and garlic. Cook for two more minutes.
- Add the second diced tomato and cook for five minutes.
- Drain the cooked chopped tomato and add to the pan.
- Stir through until all the potatoes are coated in the mixture.
- Cook for a further five minutes to allow the potatoes to absorb the flavour.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander at the last minute and then serve.
First, it is important to note that a British dumpling is a very different food to Chinese dumplings. These are suet-based dumplings that are generally served with broths and stews. They are cheap and easy food to make that will make a dish complete. The addition of herbs to the dumpling adds more flavour. Here is how to make British herb dumplings.
Makes: 12 dumplings.
Ingredients for British Herb Dumplings
- 9 oz/ 250 g self-raising flour
- 4 1/2 oz/ 125 g shredded suet
- 7 fl oz/ 200 ml water
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
How to Make Herb Dumplings
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl and stir in the suet, salt, and herbs.
- Season with black pepper.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the cold water.
- Stir the mixture together with your hand to create a soft dough.
- Flour your hands and divide the mixture into 12 pieces and hand-roll into balls.
- Dumplings take about 20 minutes to cook through, so drop them into your soup, stew, or broth 20 minutes before you are ready to serve.
Flatbreads are served as part of many cuisines from across the globe and are given a variety of names. While soft, they are fantastic for wiping up dishes with sauce, such as curries. When made crisp and cut into pieces, they are the perfect accompaniment to dips, such as guacamole, baba ganoush, or houmous. They are also budget-friendly and quick to make. Here is how to make flatbreads for six people.
Ingredients for Flatbreads
- 7 oz/ 200g plain flour
- 3 1/2 fl oz/ 100 ml warm water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2tbsp olive oil (plus additional oil for cooking)
How to Make Flatbreads
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Slowly add the water while stirring in with your hand to create a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface and put the dough on the flour.
- Add the olive oil to the dough and knead for five minutes.
- Divide the dough into six balls.
- Roll each dough ball into a round, flat shape.
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and spread around the pan using kitchen paper.
- Cook each flatbread for two minutes on each side until it puffs up a little and has some brown patches from contact with the pan.
- If you want soft flatbreads, you can now serve.
- For crisp flatbreads, brush each flatbread with a little oil before baking for five minutes in the oven.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Houmous, also known as hummus, is a chickpea-based dip of Middle Eastern origin. It is proof that some of the simplest dishes to make are also the most delicious. It is fantastic served with flatbreads or as a dip for crudites. Her is how to make a simple, delicious, and cheap houmous.
Ingredients for Houmous
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- Paprika (optional)
How to Make Humous
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse in cold water.
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor with the olive oil, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Blitz the ingredients until they have formed a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika if you wish.
Mushroom soup is perfect all year round as it is both warming for the autumn and winter months, and a light meal option for spring and summer. It is also a quick and easy meal to make that is budget-friendly. Here is how to make mushroom soup.
Ingredients for Mushroom Soup
- 300g button mushrooms
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75 ml double cream
How to Make Mushroom Soup
Clean and slice the mushrooms
.Crush the garlic and then chop the onions and celery.
Add the butter and oil to a large saucepan and put over a medium heat on the hob.
Add the celery, onions and garlic and cook for two minutes.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and add the pan lid.
Cook for a further five minutes.
Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Season with salt and black pepper and then blend the mixture
Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat and serving into soup bowls.
Cauliflower cheese is a delicious accompaniment to a meal and works particularly well with roasted meats, pies, and fish. It is also a tasty meal in its own right for vegetarians. Some people are deterred from making cauliflower cheese at home as they are worried that the cheese sauce is complicated to make. However, this is not the case as this recipe is quick and easy to make. Here is how to make cauliflower cheese.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 oz/ 50 g butter
- 2 oz/ 50 g plain flour
- 6 oz/ 160 g cheese for the sauce
- 3 oz/ 80 g cheese for topping
- 1200 ml/ 2-pint milk
- Black pepper and salt
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese
- Measure your ingredients first.
- Remove the leaves and main stem from the cauliflower, then break into florets.
- Add the cauliflower to a pan of salted boiling water.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, start the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and black pepper .
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Drain the cauliflower before adding to a large, oven-proof dish. Any excess water will cause the sauce to split, so dabbing with kitchen paper can help to make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are thoroughly dry.
- Pour over the cheese sauce so it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the dish.
- Cook on a high heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the dish is golden brown.
Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin– Adding broccoli, mustard, and breadcrumbs to this dish makes a great vegetarian meal. Read the recipe here.
Meat Lovers– Add some leftover ham to the cauliflower cheese before transferring to the oven if you prefer meat dishes.
Guacamole is one of the simplest dips to make as it requires no cooking skill whatsoever. It is also a good way to make use of any ripe avocados you have in your refrigerator. These are packed with nutrients, meaning they are a fantastic ingredient to include in a healthy, balanced diet. Guacamole is delicious served as an accompaniment to salads, crudites, or tortilla chips. It is perfect for a snack or as an addition to a buffet table. This dip is also cheap to make and is suitable for vegetarians. Here is how to make guacamole.
Ingredients for Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Guacamole
- Remove the stones and skin from the avocados and roughly chop’
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Cut the lime in half and use a juicer to remove the juice,
- Put the avocados in a bowl and squash with the back of a fork until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Add the finely chopped red onion, the crushed garlic and the lime juice.
- Mix the ingredients together and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- If you want a smoother consistency, use a blender to pulp the avocado flesh.
- Spice it up with a chopped chilli if you want a kick to your dip.