When I cook a ham joint, I make a joint large enough to last for two meals. I use the leftover ham in lots of different ways and this week, I created a new dish that I have mot made for my family before. It was a hit with everyone and my teenager even described it as restaurant quality. Therefore, it is a dish that I will make again and wanted to share on my blog. It is a ham, mushroom, cheese and leek pie. This might start a bit of a debate about what constitutes a pie; whether it should be completely encased in pastry or just have a pastry lid. Strictly speaking, I would argue that the former is true, but this recipe just has a pastry lid as it is quicker to make and I am a busy working mum. However, you can adapt this recipe by making more pastry and creating a pie that encompasses the filling with the pastry. Here is my simple recipe for how to make ham, mushroom, cheese, and leek pie.
Recipe for Shortcrust Pastry
- 8 oz plain flour
- 4 oz lard
- 4 oz butter
- 1 beaten egg for glaze
Recipe for Ham, Mushroom, Cheese, and Leek Pie Filling
- Leftover ham- approximately three slices, shredded
- 10 button mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- I leek, finely sliced
- 4 oz cheese, grated
- 1 x 400g tin of condensed mushroom soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 oz butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper to season
How to Make Ham, Mushroom, Cheese, and Leek Pie
- Prepare the pastry using this recipe (see here) and then keep in the fridge until ready to roll.
- Preheat the over to 180/ gas mark 4.
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large pan and put over a medium heat.
- Add the sliced leeks and mushrooms to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add the condensed soup and milk and bring to the simmer.
- Add the shredded ham, parsley, cheese, and black pepper.
- Cook for a further five minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large oven dish.
- Roll out the pastry and then cover the dish.
- Use a pastry brush to glaze the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Transfer the pie to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- Serve with your choice of potatoes and veg.
I served this with princess potatoes, broccoli and carrots.