Like most people, I have many kitchen gadgets. Some of these can save lots of time and make life so much simpler. However, there is one kitchen appliance that I hate…. my deep fat fryer. Here are the reasons why I hate the deep fat fryer so much.
- I had a bad accident– The main reason I hate these appliances is that I had a really nasty injury once. It was turned on and had the lid open ready to use. I decided that I would put it under the kitchen extractor, which is above the hob, to get rid of the fatty smell. The hob is inbuilt into the work surface and is raised glass. As I slid the deep fat fryer along, the hot fat sloshed over the side an badly burned my skin. It was such a bad burn that it didn’t go red and blister; it went white as it had gone through deeper skin tissue. (I do realize this was my own fault!)
- They are no better than a chip pan– I don’t think they are any easier to use than a chip man and they don’t save you any time. Therefore, they seem a bit pointless.
- I hate cleaning it– Cleaning is something I do because I have to, not because I enjoy it. One of my worst jobs is emptying and cleaning the deep fat fryer. This alone is enough to put me off using it.
- Expensive to buy and use– A chip pan is far cheaper to buy and use. Just to fill a deep fat fryer uses three bottles of oil compared to just one in a pan.
- Take up kitchen space– Regardless of whether you keep it in a cupboard or on the work surface, a deep fat fryer takes up space. They are just another dust collector. The limited amount of use mine gets really doesn’t warrant the space.
- Makes the kitchen smell- OK, so does the chip pan. In general, I am just not a big fan of deep fat frying.
- Hardly used- The only thing I really make in the deep fat fryer is chips and we only have these 2-3 times a month. I am not one for buying frozen things to cook in a fryer and it is not my favourite cooking method.
- Unhealthy- I am not a health freak by any means, but there is no denying that deep fat frying is probably the most unhealthy cooking method. There are so many other ways that you can cook food that is delicious.
Am I alone in disliking this piece of kitchen equipment or are others not fans, either?