Whether you have some leftover ham from a gammon joint that you want to use up or you want a simple but tasty meal to make, ham and cheese macaroni is a fantastic choice. The addition of ham to a classic macaroni cheese dish completely transforms this meal. It is a great budget option and really easy to make. Furthermore, it will probably be a hit with all the family. Here is an easy recipe for ham and cheese macaroni.
Ingredients for Ham and Cheese Macaroni
- 18 oz/ 500 g dried pasta (macaroni or a similar variety of pasta)
- 3 slices of leftover ham
- 1 oz/ 25 g butter
- 1 oz/ 25 g plain flour
- 3 oz/ 80 g cheese for the sauce
- 2 oz/ 50g cheese for the topping
- 600 ml/ 1-pint milk
- 2 tsp English mustard (optional)
- White pepper and salt
How to Make Ham and Cheese Macaroni
- Measure your ingredients first and preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan according to pack instructions. I would remove a few minutes from the cooking time so it is al dente as the pasta will continue to cook in the cheese sauce.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Sieve the flour into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk a little at a time continuously stirring until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Season with the salt and white pepper, add the mustard (optional) and stir through.
- Simmer gently over a low heat for approximately eight minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Drain the pasta when cooked and transfer to either a large ovenproof dish or individual ovenproof dishes.
- Using a ladle, spoon over the cheese sauce evenly.
- Shred your ham and stir into the mixture.
- Sprinkle your remaining cheese over the top of the dishes.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden and bubbling.
- If you have cooked one large macaroni cheese, spoon onto plates. If you have cooked individual portions, transfer the individual bowls to plates.
- Serve with salad, vegetables, or garlic bread.