Flatbreads are an accompaniment many cuisines from around the world and are given a variety of names, such as tortillas and chapatis. If you make the soft variety, they are fantastic for wiping up dishes with sauce, such as curries. When made crisp and cut into pieces, they are ideal for serving with dips, such as guacamole, baba ganoush, or houmous. They are also budget-friendly and quick to make. Many people prefer to make the wholemeal varieties of flatbreads for the additional health benefits. Here is how to make flatbreads for six people.
Ingredients for Wholemeal Flatbreads
- 7 oz/ 200g wholemeal flour
- 3 1/2 fl oz/ 100 ml warm water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2tbsp olive oil (plus additional oil for cooking)
How to Make Wholemeal Flatbreads
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Slowly add the water while stirring in with your hand to create a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface and put the dough on the flour.
- Add the olive oil to the dough and knead for five minutes.
- Divide the dough into six balls.
- Roll each dough ball into a round, flat shape.
- Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and spread around the pan using kitchen paper.
- Cook each flatbread for two minutes on each side until it puffs up a little and has some brown patches from contact with the pan.
- If you want soft flatbreads, you can now serve.
- For crisp flatbreads, brush each flatbread with a little oil before baking for five minutes in the oven.
- Cut into pieces and serve.