The Waldorf salad was first created in 1893 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Originally, the salad contained apples, celery, and grapes bound in a mayonnaise dressing. Later, walnuts were added and the grapes were replaced with raisins or sultanas. Here is how to make a simple and delicious Waldorf salad.
Ingredients for Waldorf Salad
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of walnuts
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Waldorf Salad
- Core and chop the apples and slice the celery before adding to a mixing bowl.
- Chop the walnut halves and add these to the mixing bowl along with the sultanas.
- Put the mayonnaise into the mixing bowl and stir to bind the ingredients together.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir well before transferring to a serving bowl for sharing, onto salad leaves in individual portions, or on to plates as an accompaniment.
For more interesting salad ideas, click here.