Baba Ganoush is a delicious aubergine (eggplant) dip of Middle-Eastern origin. It is delicious served with flatbreads or dipping foods, such as crudites. This smoky flavoured dip is easy to make and inexpensive. Here is how to make baba ganoush.
Ingredients for Baba Ganoush
- 3 aubergines (eggplants)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
How to Make Baba Ganoush
- Pierce the skins of three aubergines repeatedly using a fork.
- Place the aubergines under the grill for around 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. The skin should char and the flesh will feel soft.
- While the aubergines are grilling, use a pestle and mortar to make a paste with the crushed garlic, pepper, lemon juice, tahini, salt and 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Leave the aubergines to cool before cutting in half lengthways and scooping out the flesh.
- Put the aubergine flesh in a bowl and combine with the paste you made in the pestle and mortar.
- Mix well before transferring to a serving bowl and finishing with the remaining olive oil and a sprinkle of parsley.