One of my go-to desserts is an apple crumble. If I need to make a pudding fast that is a crowd pleaser, then this is always my recipe of choice. I make it so often that I do not need to look at the recipe myself now as it is so easy to make. For crumble novices, here is how to make a traditional apple crumble.
Crumble Mix Recipe
- 8 oz/ 225 g plain flour
- 4 oz/ 110 g butter
- 2 oz/ 60 g caster sugar
Apple Filling Recipe
- 1 lb / 450g apples
- 2 oz/ 50 g unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Pinch of cinnamon
How to Make a Crumble Mix
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ gas mark 4.
- Weigh out the flour and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Weigh the butter and cut into cubes before adding to the flour.
- Rub the butter and flour between your fingers to create ‘crumbs’.
- Weigh the sugar and add to the mixing bowl.
- Continue to rub the mixture together.
- Peel core and chop the apples into small pieces.
- Put the apple pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir so all the apple pieces are coated.
- Transfer the fruit mix to an ovenproof dish.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble mix.
- Put in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, or until the crumble mix is golden.