When people think of parsnips, they usually think of roasted parsnips with a roast dinner. However, they are a delicious ingredient to include in soup. They have a sweet and earthy flavour that works well with spices and the texture is perfect for blending. Here is how to make curried parsnip soup.
Ingredients for Curried Parsnip Soup
- 6 large parsnips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Curried Parsnip Soup
- Heat the oven to about 180 degrees C or gas mark 4.
- Peel and thinly slice one of the parsnips and spread out on a baking tray. Sprinkle with half the cumin, some salt and drizzle with half the oil.
- Bake the parsnips for approximately 20 minutes, or until they are golden and the edges have become crisp.
- While the parsnips are cooking, put a small frying pan over a medium heat and toast the remaining cumin, the turmeric and chilli powder for one minute.
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the remaining oil and fry the chopped onion for approximately seven minutes.
- Chop the remaining parsnips and crush the garlic. Add these to the pan with the onion.
- Add the toasted spices and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to bring the mixture to the boil
- Once boiling, season with salt and black pepper and reduce the heat to medium to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend with either a stick blender or a food processor.
- Serve into soup bowls and decorate with the parsnip crisps.