Although Thai red curry paste is widely available in the shops, it is well worth the effort of making your own as this has a fresher and more flavoursome taste. You can then use this paste to make delicious meat or vegetarian Thai red curries. Here is how to make Thai red curry paste.
Ingredients for Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 red chillies
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2cm piece of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g chopped coriander leaves
How to Make Thai Red Curry Paste
- Remove the stalks from the chillies and peel the garlic and shallot.
- Crush the cumin and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar before transferring to a food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend to create a smooth paste.
TIP- For vegetarian curries, omit the fish sauce and add some salt.