Even a culinary novice can whip together a soup as they are one of the easiest dishes to make. This tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup is quick and simple to make and is perfect as either a starter or a family meal served with bread or croutons. It is also equally as suitable as a warming dish in the winter months or as a refreshing dish during summer. This soup is also cheap to make, packed full of nutrients, and a great vegetarian option. Here is how to make tomato, courgette, and bell pepper soup.
Ingredients for Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- 3 medium courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- Handful fresh basil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and black pepper
- Sour cream or creme fraiche for serving
- Olive oil for cooking
How to Make Tomato, Courgette and Bell Pepper Soup
- Chop the onions, peppers, and courgettes then crush the garlic.
- Heat some olive oil over a medium heat in a large pan.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and chopped courgettes.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable stock cubes and add enough boiled water over the vegetables to cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the tinned tomatoes.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Take most of the fresh basil and roughly tear before adding to the pan. Save some basil as a garnish for the top of the soup.
- Cook the soup for 20 minutes then remove from heat and leave to cool for a while.
- Blend the soup, with either a blender or a hand blender, to your preferred consistency.
- Serve into soup bowls and add a swirl of either soured cream of creme fraiche and a sprig of basil.
- Serve the soup alone or with croutons or warm crusty bread.
Tomatoes- Use fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Garlic– the garlic is optional and just adds an extra level of flavour. If you are not a fan of garlic, leave this ingredient out.
Spice it up- If you are a fan of spice, it is simple to add some spiciness to this dish. Either add a chopped chilli or some paprika to the dish; both work well.
Peppers- You can add any colour you like. I only use one red and one yellow for the colour.