Hollandaise sauce is something that many people think is difficult to make and avoid using it for this reason. However, it is surprisingly easy to make and is a fantastic addition to dishes such as eggs Florentine or salmon and asparagus. Here is how to make hollandaise sauce in a few simple steps.
Ingredients for Hollandaise Sauce
- 3½oz/ 100g butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tbsp cold water
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Hollandaise Sauce
- Put the butter in a saucepan over a low heat until melted then remove from the heat.
- Bring a pan of water to simmering point then cover with a mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixing bowl over the pan and beat until the yolks have become a tick, pale mixture.
- Add the water and lemon juice while continuing to whisk the mixture.
- Season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add half of the melted butter and stir for a further two minutes.
- Remove bowl from the heat and slowly add the remaining butter while stirring.
- Season to taste with more salt, black pepper and lemon juice if necessary.
- If you are serving this sauce warm, then rest the bowl over a pan of lukewarm water until you are ready to serve the dish.