Corned beef hash is not one of the most glamorous meals and it certainly isn’t something that you could classify as a fine dining experience. However, it is absolutely delicious, quick and easy to make, a budget-friendly option, and the kids love it. Here is how to make corned beef hash.
Ingredients for Corned Beef Hash
- 1 x tin of corned beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 kg white potatoes
- 2 tbsp gravy granules
- Salt and pepper to season
How to Make Corned Beef Hash
- Peel the potatoes and dice into small cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of salted water and bring to the boil.
- While the potatoes are cooking, finely chop a large onion and dice the contents of a tine of corned beef.
- Put a frying pan over a medium heat and add a little oil before adding the onions.
- Cook the onions until they are softened and brown and then add the corned beef to the pan.
- When the potatoes have softened (check with a fork) drain most of the water from the pan. You will need a little if you want a small amount of gravy in your corned beef hash.
- Transfer the potatoes and the remaining water to the frying pan and mix into the corned beef and onions.
- Sprinkle over the gravy granules and season the dish with pepper.
- Cook the ingredients together for a further five minutes before serving.
Leftovers- If you have any leftover corned beef hash, do not throw it away. Instead, refrigerate it overnight and use it the next day to make delicious homemade corned beef fritters.
Serving– I usually serve this with peas and some pickled red cabbage. My partner and kids also like sliced bread and butter with corned beef hash.