It never ceases to amaze me that people do not make their own pastry when it is such a simple thing to make. Here is how to make shortcrust pastry with the ingredients, instructions, and some helpful tips.
Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry
- 8 oz/ 225 g plain flour
- 2 oz/ 60 g butter
- 2 oz/ 20 g lard
- Good pinch of salt
- Weigh out the ingredients.
- Sieve the flour and the salt into a bowl.
- Chop the lard and the butter into the bowl.
- Rub the flour and the fat between your fingers to form a crumb.
- Add a small amount of water to the bowl and stir the crumbs with your hand to bind them together. Continue to add small amounts of water until you have a firm pastry dough.
- Wrap the pastry and put in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with a little flour and rub some flour into a rolling pin.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator, remove cling film and place on the floured surface.
- Take the rolling pin and roll backward and forwards on the pastry, pressing down firmly.
- Turn the pastry 90 degrees and repeat.
- Vegetarians– Replace the lard with an extra 2 oz of butter or use margarine.
- Sweet Pastry– Add 1 oz of caster sugar and do not add the salt.
- Sticking pastry– If the pastry is sticking to the rolling pin, simply sprinkle a little flour over the pastry and rub some flour into the rolling pin.
- Lifting the pastry– If you are finding it tricky to lift the pastry without breaking it, then use your rolling pin. Lie the rolling pin across the centre of the pastry. Take the edge furthest away from yourself and lift over the rolling pin until the back edge meets the front edge. Use the rolling pin to lift the pastry.
- Glaze- If you are using the pastry for a pie crust, you should add a glaze. Use a pastry brush to cover the pastry with either milk or a whisked egg.