Although I make the regular slaw, my kids really love my funky red cabbage slaw as there is something fun about having such a colorful side dish on the plate. It is quick and simple to make and is a great way of getting the kids to eat a variety of vegetables. Here is a quick guide on how to make funky red cabbage slaw. It makes enough for approximately eight good-sized side dishes to accompany a meal.
Ingredients for Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 red cabbage grated or finely sliced
- 4 large carrots grated
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 8 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons of salad cream
- 100 ml double cream
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Funky Red Cabbage Slaw
- Grate the carrots and red cabbage and finely slice the red onion.
- Add the grated and sliced vegetables to a large mixing bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, salad cream, and double cream to the bowl.
- Stir well until all the vegetables are coated.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Extra ingredients– you can add extra ingredients if you want a little variety. Try adding chopped apples, sultanas, or walnuts for a twist.
- Spice it up– this is delicious as it is, but you can also spice up this dish. Adding a teaspoon of curry powder or smoked paprika are just two ways you can change the flavor of this accompaniment.
- Reduce the fat– it is easy to reduce the fat content of this side dish. Simply use low-fat mayonnaise and salad cream and omit the double cream from the recipe.